Friday, October 19, 2012

The Pumpkin Project

Have you ever wondered about the seeds in a pumpkin? As you know, I am a runner, and random thoughts like that cross my mind often as I pound along for 10-20 miles. I decided to take that question and turn it into a great science project for our class. I asked them to find out if the circumference of a pumpkin determined the number of seeds. Circumference is not a 2nd grade skill, (its 3rd grade) but I decided to push these amazingly smart students into a higher level of learning. As you will see in the pics below, a great time of learning was had by all. 

The set up at each group.


Introducing the tape measure.






Teaching about circumference.






Observing the inside to make a prediction of how many seeds are inside.



Cleaning out the guts!!!






Counting the seeds.







Discussing the results of the experiment.






Of course, we had to try on the pumpkin slime!


No comments:

Post a Comment